Re: Review this week: Media Accessibility User Requirements

EOWG:

Here are my comments on the Media Requirements
document. Each item begins with a letter, and
I've marked the level of importance in parentheses.

There are nine items, lettered A through I.

I have not done detailed editing, though if the
PFWg would like me to go through, just before
publication, I'll do my best at that time.

A. (2) <h4> Autism

Individuals with an autism-spectrum disorder are
commonly impacted in         the areas of
communication, social interaction, and repetitive behaviors.

JS: "repetitive behaviors" seems a bit awkward to
me. Maybe there is information that can be quoted
from an autism-spectrum-related Web site?

JS: Is the heading "Autism" at the right heading
level and/or should it be numbered? Maybe it's fine, and I'm missing it.

B. (2) "•  Some descriptions can be delivered as
a separate audio channel         mixed in at the player. "

JS: I'm not sure what this means.

C. (1) I've seen the word "problem" or "problems"
used a few times. I won't cite the locations, but
it might be worthwhile to search for and
reconsider such references since they imply that a disability is a "problem."

D. (1) "The user can navigate along the timebase
using a continuous scale, and       by relative
time units within rendered audio and animations (including
   video and animated images) that last three or
more seconds at their default       playback rate. (UAAG 2.0 4.9.6?)"

JS:  It would be ideal to confirm the above reference before publication.

E. (2) JS: I'm not sure what this means; perhaps
a word is missing i.e. "Support that in..."?

"[CN-10] Support that in bilingual texts both the
original and translated           texts can
appear on screen, with both the original and
translated text highlighted, line by line, in sync with the audio narration."

F. (3) When references are made to other
documents, such as UAAG 2.0, it'd be ideal to
make the words into a link to the specific section. As one example:

"focus object is employed. This does not forbid
and should           not discourage providing
mouse input or other input methods in addition           to
keyboard operation. (UAAG 2.0 4.1.1)"

On the other hand, perhaps the existence of the
checklist table would make such linking duplicative and unnecessary.

G. (2) "[KA-5] The scripted and native controls
must go           through the same platform-level
accessibility framework (where it exists),           so that a
user presented with the scripted version is not
shut out           from some expected behaviour."

JS: Perhaps something like "excluded from
participating in or experiencing..." instead of "shut out."

H. (2) I'm not sure what this means:

"[KA-6] Autoplay on media elements is a
particularly           difficult issue to manage
for vision-impaired users, since the mouse           allows other
users to an auto-playing element on a page with a
single           interaction. Therefore, autoplay
state needs to be exposed to the platform-level
        accessibility framework. The
vision-impaired user must be able to
stop           autoplay either generally on all
media elements through a setting,
           or for particular pages through a single keyboard user interaction.

This could be enabled through encouraging
publishers to us @autoplay,         encouraging
UAs to implement accessibility settings that allow to turn
      off all autoplay, and encouraging AT to
implement a shortcut key to stop         all autoplay on a Web page."

I. (2) I'm not sure what this means:

"[VP-5] Captions and subtitles traditionally
occupy           the lower third of the video,
where also controls are also usually           rendered. The
user agent must avoiding overlapping of overlay
content           and controls on media
resources. This must also happen if, for example,           the
controls are only visible on demand."

Jennifer