"RisK' in "Web Accessibility is Smart Business"

From: Karl Groves <karl.groves@deque.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:22:24 -0400
To: "'EOWG'" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Sorry for the very late timing on this e-mail.

The more I think about it, the more I think that having a slide that discusses risk is like leaving a landmine of "fail" out there to get stepped on by the presenter.  It can have a significant effect or it can be like "proving" that accessibility is nothing to be concerned about.  I've been refining my own thoughts regarding risk, and I think the argument is compelling for large organizations.  Of course, the converse is true as well.  Risk for small and medium companies is almost negligible. If these slides are presented by someone without a firm grasp on the exact legal landscape for the audience, it might work against them.

Additionally, most of the litigation on web accessibility has taken place in the US, with a little bit happening in Canada and UK. The rest of the presentation is universal while this really isn't. Because this is a presentation of the W3C, we may want to avoid being so US-centric here.

Thanks.

Karl L. Groves
Director, Training
Deque Systems, Inc.