Re: Comments on Web browsing document

Hi Sylvie,

Thank you for your review and comments!

Let's discuss points #1 and #8 during the call. The others are mostly
editorial and I've fixed them. Some more detailed responses inline:

On 15.10.2010 11:18, Sylvie Duchateau wrote:
> Hello all,While reading document Understanding Web browsing at:
> While reading the document : understanding web browsing at
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/2009/browsing
> I have one comment on the structure of the document.
> The heading "page content" is located after the introduction.
> however, the first link of the content is "introduction" that the reader
> has just read.
> So the suggestion wouldb e to move page contents before the introduction.

Actually the "introduction" heading and item in the page contents are
only visible to screen readers. Let's discuss some of the options for
page organization during the call.

> 2. Section : Hearing, feeling, and seeing
> Typo: content can be presnentend instead of presented.

Fixed.

> 3. In examples of content format, audio description:
> narrations to describes important visual details in a video
> should be: narrations that describe important visual details in a video
> or: narrations to describe important visual details in a video

Fixed. Used "narrations that describe ...".

> 4. In examples of assistive technologies :
> screen reader: it stands that screen reader software communicates
> information to text-to-speech or braille. I would suggest to add and/or
> braille, as some people use both together.

Good point. Changed to "software that processes content on the desktop
or Web and communicates it to the user using in different formats such
as text-to-speech and braille" for now.

> 5. voice browser: in some voice browsers, such as HPR, there was also an
> ability to serve as e-mail client.

Hmmm, questionable if it is then still a "voice browser" or more.

Anyway, I've changed the sentence to "similar to screen reader but
usually only process web content" -- ie added the word "usually".

> 6. In examples of content presentation:
> Screen magnification, typo: "Some people use maginification lenses, ",
> write magnification.

Fixed.

> 7. In sign language: write dialects instead of dialetcs,.

Fixed.

> 8. In navigating and finding content:
> There is a typo in sitemap that is written sitmaps.

Fixed.

> While reading the list of examples for what people are or are not, I do
> not understand what is meant with: some people are Not using
> hierarchical navigation

Changed to "Searching for content using different strategies" for now
but please re-raise if this is still unclear.

> In examples of assistive technologies, I do not understand what
> speed-dial mean? Is it jargon or common English word?

Actually jargon. Let's discuss how to best approach this.

> In "skip links": I do not know where this should be mentionned in the
> resource, but many people usually hide skip links to the ordinary user.
> Those links are only read by screen readers, or they are displayed when
> press the tab key. This does not help the users with motor disabilities
> that need skip links. Do you think this should be mentionned somewhere?

Or hiding headings? ;)

I think it is a relevant issue but did not find a place to fit it in,
especially given that this is an introductory resource. Let's discuss on
the call and see if someone has an idea to address the issue.

Note: while I agree that skip-links should be visible where possible,
making them appear on tab seems to be a viable compromise too.

> That's all for this page.

Thank you for your feedback.

Best,
   Shadi