"At a Glance" for the Meeting 8/13

From: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 02:47:57 -0700
To: "EOWG (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>
Guideline 1.3 Adaptable:
Create content that can be presented in different ways (for example
simpler layout) without losing information or structure.
Current Proposal:
Make content adaptable; and make it available to assistive technologies
My modification:
Assistive technology can change perceptual mode or style with no loss
of meaning.
Rationale
Each item in "At a Glance" is a simple form of a Guideline. 1.3 could
be summed up as "separate appearance from meaning", but that is not
specific enough for our prompt. I sacrifice brevity by replacing
"perceptual mode or appearance" for  "presentation".  The term
"presentation" has become jargon in W3C. This is similar to
substituting "browser or media player" for "user agent". I have used
the phrase "with no loss of meaning". This may be too terse. It should
really be "no loss of structure or information". The two are equal in
meaning, but many do not perceive structure as part of meaning. This
is an artifact of the fact that people with full access to perceptual
cues of style accept their addition to meaning at a pre-concious
level. They make the mistake that plain text with no style can convey
the same meaning as formatted web text.

Hi Everyone,

Wayne