Re: Examples of when people need text alternatives for images

From: Ian Pouncey <w3c@ipouncey.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:18:46 +0100
To: sylvie.duchateau@snv.jussieu.fr
Cc: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>, "EOWG (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Sylvie Duchateau
<sylvie.duchateau@snv.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> In the next bullet, I wonder if users with cognitive disabilities only use
> screen readers? I think there are possibilities to have software reading
> text that is selected with the mouse or copied and pasted in the clipboard.
> So I suggest for this bullet:
> - Users who have a cognitive impairment that makes it difficult
> or impossible to read, and have text  read by speech synthesis when they
> select it with the mouse or copy it to the clipboard.

This is a valid technique used by users, but alt attribute text is not
copied to the clipboard when an image is selected in all browsers - do
we need to make a note of that if this change is accepted? I think the
reference to users with cognitive impairments potentially using a
traditional screen reader needs to stay in as well.

Ian.