Re: Call for Review: Developing a Web Accessibility Business Case for Your Organization - update

Hello Yeliz,

Thanks you for the all the comments and suggestions. The mobile device
ones will be considered in the next revision of this document; others
were useful for this version.

Andrew

Yeliz Yesilada wrote:
> Please see my comments below for these pages. They are all OPTIONAL.
>
> On 4 May 2009, at 18:04, Shawn Henry wrote:
>
>>    http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/bcase/Overview.html
>
> 1. In this paragraph "While accessibility focuses on people with
> disabilities, accessibility also benefits older users, mobile phone
> users and other individuals, as well as organizations that develop
> accessible products. Older users with age-related accessibility needs
> are an increasingly important customer base for most organizations as
> the percentage of older users is significantly increasing. Organizations
> with accessible Web sites can also benefit from search engine
> optimization, increased customer loyalty, demonstration of corporate
> social responsibility, and reduced legal risk.". I think the second half
> of the first sentence does not add much to the overall message of that
> sentence ("as well as organisations..."), instead I would recommend to
> talk about the benefits of accessibility for people with low literacy,
> people with low bandwidth connections, etc.
 >
> In this parag., we can also add a sentence about the benefits of
> accessibility for all, for instance the Mobile Web or when temporary
> disabilities are experienced.

Thanks - good suggestions. I will consider changing.

> 2. In the following sentence "In order to be willing to invest the
> initial costs, many organizations need to understand the social,
> technical, and financial benefits of Web accessibility and the
> expectations of the returns throughout the organization.", it would be
> good to add legal factors as well so the sentence would read "In order
> to be willing to invest the initial costs, many organizations need to
> understand the social, technical, financial and legal factors of Web
> accessibility and the expectations of the returns throughout the
> organization."

Thanks, but not adopted as we lose the key word "benefits" that might
attract readers.

> 3. The section "How to use this document" introduces the five pages that
> form this resource suite but it doesn't present what these pages are. I
> think it would be good to list those five pages here, at least mention
> what they are. I know they are explained in detail in the following
> section, but here it is not clear what these pages are.

Good idea - done.

> 4. In the section "Factors in a Business Case for Web Accessibility",
> under social factors, we can also talk about the benefits of
> accessibility for the Mobile Web.
>
> 5. In the section "Examples of How Factors Differ Across Environments",
> under "government ministry or agency", we can also talk about the
> cost-savings in in-person or paper-based services when people are able
> to use their services from their mobile devices.
>
> 6.  In the section "Examples of How Factors Differ Across Environments",
> under "educational institution", we can also talk about the benefits of
> accessible Web for mobile Web based learning.
>
> 7.  In the section "Examples of How Factors Differ Across Environments",
> under "SME", we can also talk about the benefits of accessibility for
> being able to support Mobile commerce.
>
> 8. I think in the related resources section, it would be good to
> re-order the listed resources so that "WAI Resources" is the first item.
>
>>    http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/bcase/soc.html
>
> 1. In the first parag, I guess the last link label has to be "Developing
> a Web Accessibility Business Case for Your Organization: Overview". This
> comment is valid for all the other sub-pages.

Changing this would interrupt the reading flow; also, the link text
reflects the name of the suite and links to the overview page which is
sufficient.

> 2. In the section "Identifying Social Factors for a Specific
> Organisation", in the last question, we can also give "Mobile Web" as an
> example.
>
> 3. In the section "Number of people affected", we can also briefly talk
> about the number of mobile Web users. I think it is not a good idea to
> give a number as it changes everyday, but we can briefly mention that
> there quite a lot of mobile Web users who can benefit from accessible
> Web sites.
>
> 4. In the Section "Overlap with Digital Divide Issues", we can also
> briefly mention the work by the "Mobile Web for Social Development,
> http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/" working group. How developing countries
> could possibly benefit from accessible Web? I know that the following
> sections briefly mentions people that use older technologies, etc., but
> it might be good to explicitly talk about that work here.
>
> 5. In the section "Web Accessibility Benefits People with and Without
> Disabilities", we can also add a subsection that introduces the overlaps
> between mobile and accessible Webs.
>
> 6. I am not sure if it is a good idea to refer to specific checkpoints
> or success criteria in each subsection of the section  "Web
> Accessibility Benefits People with and Without Disabilities". Do we
> assume that people who will read these pages will have technical
> knowledge of these guidelines? Wouldn't it be better to briefly
> introduce the overlaps and then refer to the other documents that give
> the technical overlaps?.

We have a wish-list item to allow people to reveal/hide these which
would address your point. Leaving for another revision.

>>    http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/bcase/tech.html
>
> 1. Similar to my previous comment, do we assume that people who will
> read these documents, will have technical knowledge of the guidelines?
> If that's the assumption, please ignore my comment, but if that's not
> the assumption, I wonder if it is a good idea to refer to WCAG 2.0
> success criteria and WCAG 1.0 checkpoints. These references are also not
> linked to the relevant technical document, so if one wants to read more
> information about them, then they have to go and manually find them.
>
>>    http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/bcase/fin.html
>
> 1. In the section "Increased Web Site Use",  in this sentence
> "Accessible sites can be used by more people -- including people with
> disabilities, older people, people with low literacy, people who are not
> fluent in the language of the site, people with low bandwidth
> connections to the Internet, people with older technologies, and new and
> infrequent Web users, as discussed in Social Factors -- thus increasing
> the market segments and number of people who can successfully use the
> site.", we can also talk about the Mobile Web users.
>
> 2. In the section "Increased Web Site Use", in the part "Increases
> potential use in more situations", we can extend this and talk about the
> temporary disabilities that people can experience (e.g., low bandwidth,
> connection charges, device limitations (no mouse, etc)).

Thanks for this idea - incorporated

> SOME EXRA COMMENTS:
> 1. I realised that in some pages of the suite you question if you have
> enough evidence. Regarding the evidence for each of these factors, what
> about referring to studies like this:
> <http://inova.snv.jussieu.fr/evenements/colloques/servonline/Actes/description_ang.php?id=49&num=45>

Thanks - adding these kind of studies is something to consider for
another revision.