Re: Comments on EOWG: Mobile-Accessibility Overlap document publication

MWBP and EOWG,

Some further comments are inline below.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Comments on EOWG: Mobile-Accessibility Overlap document  publication
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 08:12:42 -0500
From: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>
To: achuter@technosite.es
CC: EOWG (E-mail) <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>,  MWI MWBP Member List <member-bpwg@w3.org>

Alan,

Thanks for the quick implementation. I am fine with leaving these two issues as is for this publication and addressing them later...

~Shawn

Alan Chuter wrote:

> Thanks for all these suggestions. I've implemented most of them in a new
> version [1]. I think that the following two merit some input from BPWG.
>
> Shawn Henry wrote:
>
>> location: throughout
>> current wording: WCAG 2.0 and MWBP 1.0 Together page
>> suggested revision: I understood that EOWG decided at the 20 June
>> teleconference to take this page out for now. In order to keep the
>> scope down and get the first version of the document completed sooner,
>> EOWG suggested doing the Together page in a second revision. They
>> suggested putting a placeholder paragraph in the overview document
>> that says we might provide detailed information later, and for now if
>> you are looking at both WCAG 2.0 & MWBP fresh, it’s probably best to
>> start with WCAG 2.0 first and then use the "from WCAG 2.0 to MWBP 1.0"
>> page, and also to point to the experiences document
>> [http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/experiences] that shows some of the
>> overlaps. [recorded in
>> http://www.w3.org/2008/06/20-eo-minutes.html#action12]
>> rationale: simplifies the nav and lists/table of subpages, and avoids
>> sending them to a page that is essentially empty of content.
>
> Removing the page isn't the same as putting in "placeholder" text. I
> don't think we can publish the draft with what is perhaps the most
> important page missing. The action recorded was "put a placeholder
> document for the WCAG 2.0 & MWBP 1.0 together document that suggests
> looking at WCAG 2.0 first and then the "from WCAG 2.0 to MWBP 1.0"
> document, and point to experiences document
> [http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/experiences] that show some of the
> overlaps". I've included a "provide detailed information later"
> paragraph as you suggest and the pointer to the experiences page. I
> think that really, as the page in its present shape is what you are
> suggesting, but it's in a seperate page, not in the overview. In short,
> I've left the page there but included the information suggested.

I think the action item in the minutes was not logged accurately, and should have been "put placeholder text for the WCAG 2.0 & MWBP 1.0 together document..." Here is some more from the minutes:
- Wayne: I don't think we should hold off. Get the other ones [From-To pages] out right away.
- Yeliz: pub [publish] what we have now. Do the combined later.

As Alan has said, the "Together" section will be very difficult. Indeed, we have not yet even figured out a format that would work.

EOWG wants to get the first version of this completed soon by completing the easier parts first, publishing that, and then tackling the harder parts for an second version. So the questions are:
- Does Alan and MWBP agree to get the first version completed soon without the "Together" section, or delay publication of the first version until the "Together" section is complete?
- If we do a first version without the "Together" section, should we just mention it in the Overview page, or should we have a separate page, which adds complexity to the navigation and sub-page explanation and may be a bit annoying to users (to be sent to a page without substantial content).

I do think EOWG is quite open to considering these or other options...

>  > location: overview page, “Managing Overlapping Requirements” section
>  > current wording: whole section
>  > suggested revision: move this to http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/
>  > rationale: agreed to by EOWG: “ACTION: Alan: move the business case type
>  > information to the other document (EO introduction) and here leave only
>  > the technical information” -
>  > http://www.w3.org/2008/06/20-eo-minutes.html#action15
> Do you mean remove this section altogether? Perhaps this change can be
> held over until after comment from BPWG.

There are several reasons for the non-technical business case information to be in the Introduction document, and for the technical document to include only the technical information. One reason is that once the Technical document is completed and published on /TR/, it is more complex to make little updates, whereas we can easily make updates to the Introduction document.

Note that in all promotional material[1] we will be pointing to the Introduction document first (not just the technical document). Also, Alan has done a good job of clearly pointing to the Introduction document in the overview page of the technical document.

[1] for example, http://www.w3.org/WAI/highlights/archive#x20080122a and http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2008JanMar/0014.html

--
Shawn Lawton Henry, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
about: http://www.w3.org/People/Shawn/