Re: Success Criteria 3.1.5 violates academic freedom on my opinion and could not be practiced by universities.

Success Criteria 3.1.5 is Level AAA

"Note: It is not recommended that Level AAA conformance ever be required for entire sites as a general policy because it is not possible to satisfy all Level AAA Success Criteria for some content." - http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/conformance.html#uc-levels-head

See also http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/meaning-supplements.html

Wayne, Do you think what's there is enough to clarify it, or do you think something needs to be added to the success criteria (SC) itself. If to the SC itself, how could it be worded to be specific enough that people don't use it as a loop hole for anything?

~Shawn

--
Shawn Lawton Henry, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
about: http://www.w3.org/People/Shawn/