Re: EOWG: Updated agenda for 13 October 2006 Teleconference

Liam McGee wrote:

> Suggest addition:
>
> - ALA article http://alistapart.com/articles/workingwithothers

First off, I fully agree that user input is absolutely central to our
undertakings.

That said, I feel that because most Working Group participants are
themselves testers (Gregory Rosmaita springs to mind) or at the very
least quite closely connected to PWD, much of the need for more formal
presentation of the relevant research is largely less important than
claimed therein.

However the main thrust of the article is in my experience/opinion
dependent on the lack of distinction between "newbies" and those same
clients after exactly the same growing pains experienced by TABs.

If our guidelines are based on slightly-skilled users we risk falling
into the "dumbing-down" trap, so choices of "subjects" for this research
would be too influential because of the necessarily small sample size.

In short I think the article is correct in its call for more user
participation but erroneous in its citation of much that is actually
problems with their inexperience and the shortcomings of the rather
unsophisticated design of such AT as screen readers, the very use of
which is highly dependent on its users having gone up the learning curve.

Love.