Comments on Process 101

From: Liam McGee <liam.mcgee@communis.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:03:35 +0100
To: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>
CC: EOWG <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

Hi Shawn,

I think that this document is a great idea.

I like the diagram, but it raises these questions:

An LCWD can skip straight to PR without passing through PR. Under what
conditions would this happen? Why? I can't work out the answer from

How does a document get downgraded from  e.g. PR to CR. When would this
be from PR to WD? Again I can't work out the answer from

Regarding the rest of the doc, here are some questions for each section
we might want to be able to answer. For the purposes of the questions I
assume the character of someone with no involvement with W3C and is
aggressively challenging the process -- this may or may not be an
appropriate persona.

Working Draft (WD):
How do people give input? (Talk about interest groups, mailing lists --
be specific, give urls for signing up)

Last Call Working Draft (LCWD):
Who decides who sits on a Working Group? What is their authority to do
so? Why do they get to decide this stuff? Why can't I?

Candidate Recommendation (CR):
How is this 'implementation experience' gathered? Where can we see this
data? How to I make my experiences while implementing my website known
to you -- and the obstacles caused by your dumb

Proposed Recommendation (PR):
Who reviews it? What makes them think they know. Who are the W3C
members? How come they get a voice and I/my organisation/my friends don't?

W3C Recommendation (Web Standard):
How do you define 'significant support from the public'. Prove it. I
don't support it and nor do my friends. How do we complain?
Similar to standards? How. What is dissimilar? Why don't you just call
them standards? Where can I get some actual standards?

Kind regards