Re: Line in the sand

From: Wendy Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 13:54:27 -0700
To: love26@gorge.net, eowg <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Cc: po@trace.wisc.edu, john_slatin@forum.utexas.edu

At 07:41 AM 4/21/2006, William Loughborough wrote:
>The provision of the ghettoizing "provide an accessible alternative" is
>very like a quaint concept from America's past: "separate but equal".
>
>This is just simply not acceptable.
>
>Allowing something to "pass" on the basis of this guideline subverts the
>entire purpose of integration/inclusion that underlie why there's such a
>thing as an "accessiblity problem".

The message of Guideline 4.2  in WCAG 2.0 is different from Checkpoint 11.4
in WCAG 1.0.

WCAG 1.0 says "if you can't avoid building stairs, build an elevator."  It
doesn't say anything about making the elevator easy to find or get
to.  WCAG 2.0 says, "provide an elevator at the main entrance, stairs may
also be available (from the same entrance)."  I understand your concern
about ghettoizing accessible content and I believe we avoid that with this
approach.  If this message it difficult to interpret from the wording of
Guideline 4.2, please offer suggestions to clarify.

Best,
--wendy