Red Flag Item

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:40:59 -0800
To: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, eowg <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

Guideline 4.2 of WCAG 2.0:
"Ensure that user interfaces are accessible or provide an accessible
alternative(s)"

It is IMO imperative that there be a full stop after the first "accessible".

Reason 1: if one has provided an "accessible alternative" then said user
interface is, by definition, itself accessible and there is no need for
this "or" phrase.

Reason 2: this encourages yet another "copout escape hatch" very similar
to the long-discredited substitution of a "text only" version as an
acceptable alternative to genuine inclusion/accessibility. Either the
accessibility of the so-called alternative is defined within the
document (in which case it needs no "or" exception) or it is left to the
tender mercies of the author, bypassing the fulfillment criteria.

I spoke to a WG chair offline about this but I would like for it to come
from EOWG as well.

Love.