RE: bcase-social factors for 23 January 2004 teleconference

Hi,

Some suggestions regarding CSR section: from my point of view, there are
some redundancies in the text and the message is not crystal clear.

Red indicates text that I believe can be omitted. Blue is additions to the
text.

Corporate social responsibility (CSR), also called corporate citizenship and
other terms, is about operating an organization in such a way that treats
internal and external stakeholders ethically, conducts business in the
ethical way, increases human development, and positively impacts society and
the environment. Web accessibility is anintegral part of CSR because it
demonstrates company's commitment to providing equal opportunities for all
people regadless of limitations in all aspects of business.  can impact an
organization's employees, stockholders and board members, suppliers and
vendors, partners and collaborators, customers, and other constituents.
Each company should have either CSR statement, policies or program that
demonstrate its respect for all people and commitment to providing equal
opportunities.   The following points can help incorporating social factors
in a customized case for Web accessibility:
·	Does the organization already have a corporate social
responsibilit,y statement or program? An organization's commitment to social
responsibility could be in various areas and formats, and might be called
something different than CSR.
o	If yes: How does Web accessibility fit within the specific
parameters that the organization focuses on in its social responsibility
efforts? For example, are the organization's efforts focused on employee
volunteerism, financial sponsorship of events, or enhanced reputation to
potential customers? A customized case can emphasize those aspects which
most closely align with the organziations priorities. Is accessibility part
of the corporate objective, does it promote hiring people with disabilities,

Below are some of the points that should be included into CSR policies
o	provide access to the web for all employees regardless of
limitations
o	develop accessible information on the web
o	raise awareness about accessibility among employees and customers,
o	contribute to the development of accessibility industry standards
etc.

o	If no: Are there programs or initiatives within the organization
that overlap with social factors? For example, is the organization heavily
recruiting employees, trying to increase its customer base for online sales,
or seeking capital or other funding. [@@ need to say how each of these
relate to Web access, e.g., employees get good feelings, sense of
contribfution to society os easier to recruit & retain - or would that be
too much?]

CSR has been shown to improve financial performance, enhance brand image and
reputation, increase sales and customer loyalty, increase ability to attract
and retain employees, and provide access to capital and funding. [x] many
organizations around the world provide information about CRS (much of it
free on the Web), such as statistics that show have CSR impacts customers.
·	Which avenues of maximizing the benefits of Web accessibility as CSR
are most relevant to the organziation? For example, is the organziation
eager for a public relations story, or would it be able to demonstrate
leadership as one of the first organziations in its area to fully implement
Web accessibility?
One motivation for organizations' social responsibility efforts is
financial. An organization's efforts in Web accessibility is a public
relations opportunity to increase their positive image, which could increase
site use, and offer direct and indirect financial gains, as discussed in the
Financial Factors page of this resource suite.

Thanks

Natasha Lipkina
HP eBusiness/HP.com
Accessibility Program Manager
Tel: 650-236-5409
www.hp.com/accessibility
www.hp.com/hpweb/accessibility
Connecting people to the power of technology