Re: Technical Factors: Different Devices

On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 01:00  AM, Alan Chuter wrote:
> I think that some sites will have to have multiple versions for
> different device profiles, but what we should claim is that each of
> these versions will be usable with all user agents and devices within
> that profile.

It appears that this discussion brushes against the difference between
"usable" and "capable of being used." While the former is subjective
and squishy, the latter can be claimed by standards-conformant sites on
all devices. The value of browsing a 2-megabyte file over a 9.6kbps
connection through a four-line phone display notwithstanding.

If sites are designed in a uniform fashion, and in a
transformation-capable language such as XHTML, the case could be made
that adhering to a common style (e.g., valid code, sections marked up
with <h*>, alt text) affords the author the ability to transform the
existing files in place for use by mobile or smaller displays using
XSLT.

I do tend to think most of the descriptions I've seen of this benefit
are a bit overoptimistic or lacking in detail. You don't get this for
free unless you plan for it. But relative to the jaw-dropping sums
companies are happy to charge sites for screen-scraping services, it
may sell some people, or at least get them thinking more about their
designs. And that dovetails well with the Quality Assurance activity
and their documents on designing for standards.

-