Re: Preliminary Review section of Evaluating Web Sites

At 06:12 PM 7/27/01 -0400, Jean-Marie D'Amour wrote:
<...>
>> - in the sub-list of five "browser tricks," are the instructions about
>what
>> to do clear and useful?
>
>YES but, is it useful to add a look in low and high resolution? It seems
>obvious, but...

I'm not sure what information this would give. It would make it blurry, no?

>> - I added a note about "experienced users of screen readers" in step #3,
>> with a little bit of caution in different directions, to try to work in
>> what Carlos was saying since this seems to be a way to fit it in even in
>> the preliminary review
>
>I don't undestand why you say "if sighted, should make sure that the monitor
>is turned off so as not to provide visual cues" because the purpose is to
>compare wisual information with non visual.

Yes I was wondering about that part, also. I added it to echo a
conversation we've had in the group a few times about cautions for people
who are sighted when they think they are reviewing Web sites effectively by
using screen readers, but in fact they are unwittingly relying on visual
cues from the screen. However, it is true that the purpose of this exercise
is to compare information. Perhaps that could be done by taking notes, or
is that too cumbersome?

Actually, the same concern applies to a sighted person reviewing a Web site
by using a text browser or voice browser. With the text browser, if it is a
visual display of text, then perhaps one looks back and forth between the
text browser and the GUI browser, and does not bias oneself as much by the
visual cues. But when using a voice browser, it would be very easy for a
review to bias him/herself with visual cues from looking at the GUI display.

Suggestions?

- Judy
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)