Re: Preliminary Review section of Evaluating Web Sites

From: Jean-Marie D'Amour <jmdamour@videotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:33:30 -0400
To: "EOWG" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
Hello Judy and all,

> >YES but, is it useful to add a look in low and high resolution? It seems
> >obvious, but...
If the page not fit on the screen in low resolution, the user have to scroll
horizontaly and it's not easy for many, particularly people with motor

> I'm not sure what information this would give. It would make it blurry,
> >> - I added a note about "experienced users of screen readers" in step
> >> with a little bit of caution in different directions, to try to work in
> >> what Carlos was saying since this seems to be a way to fit it in even
> >> the preliminary review
> >
> >I don't undestand why you say "if sighted, should make sure that the
> >is turned off so as not to provide visual cues" because the purpose is to
> >compare wisual information with non visual.
> Yes I was wondering about that part, also. I added it to echo a
> conversation we've had in the group a few times about cautions for people
> who are sighted when they think they are reviewing Web sites effectively
> using screen readers, but in fact they are unwittingly relying on visual
> cues from the screen. However, it is true that the purpose of this
> is to compare information. Perhaps that could be done by taking notes, or
> is that too cumbersome?
> Actually, the same concern applies to a sighted person reviewing a Web
> by using a text browser or voice browser. With the text browser, if it is
> visual display of text, then perhaps one looks back and forth between the
> text browser and the GUI browser, and does not bias oneself as much by the
> visual cues. But when using a voice browser, it would be very easy for a
> review to bias him/herself with visual cues from looking at the GUI

If you want to compare, you have to view the two and I think for the
preliminary review is the right goal. In the section for "evaluation", on
the third step, this will be more appropiate to emphasize this precaution
for JAWS and Home Page Reader. HPR display in the same windows the graphic
view and the text view and the user can't deactivate it, bu he can turn off
the monitor.