General Notes on Training Document

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:26:34 -0700
To: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
 From 20,000 feet I would urge that a couple of points be made in
any/all(?) training sessions: a) conformance to some sort of accessibility
guidelines is (or very soon will be) a requirement rather than a choice; b)
retrofitting is beyond being a nuisance; c) starting from a universal
design perspective will maximize the benefits ensured by following our

The training experience will be enhanced (in the case involving design
considerations) by going through the steps of designing a series of
differing iterations for a base project be it a Web Portal, Shopping Site,
or the "daily news". For the busy executive the "programmers are cheaper
than lawyers" approach (even touching on the Maguire/asbestos/tobacco
analogies) might very well make more bottom-line sense than the "get 20%
more hits" line.

Just my thoughts for the day.

If anyone doesn't know how "colorful" I look you might want to view Ian
Jacobs' great portrait at