Upgrading browsers

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 19:42:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: WAI EO <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
cc: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
The GL group yesterday gave me an action item to bring up a question on this
group.

How do we get people to upgrade browsers? Much of the GL work seems to rely
on adoption of accessibility-related or accessibility-friendly technology,
most obviously CSS, in order to be implemented effectively.

A related question is what are the accessibility barriers to upgrading
browsers? It seems to me that this might be more of a problem for people who
speak languages other than english, and have to rely on internationalised
versions of software which may significantly reduce their options.

On the flip side, promoting browsers which solve the problems would give UA
some publicity, and give the browser developers some motivation to implement
the guidelines..

Charles McCN