Re: Comments on SMIL note

From: Marja-Riitta Koivunen <marja@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:16:18 -0400
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, Geoff Freed <Geoff_Freed@wgbh.org>
Cc: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, WAI-EO <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>, Madeleine Rothberg <Madeleine_Rothberg@wgbh.org>, ij@w3.org
At 04:16 PM 7/29/99 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Geoff Freed wrote:
>>Also in 2.2.3:
>>"The second stream will be rendered if the user has configured the player
to >prefer subtitles and Spanish."

(and the first stream was not selected i.e. user did not select to see
captions)

>>Add the word "audio" after "Spanish".
>
>I don't think this is correct. Here is the example:

I agree. I would like to have more language attributes i.e. to be able to
have different media elements in different languages but now there is only
one attribute available.

><par>
>      <!-- audio section same as before -->
>      <video src="video.rm"/>
>      <textstream src="stockticker.rtx"/>
>       <switch> <!-- captions or subtitles -->
>           <textstream src="closed-caps.rtx"
>                 system-captions="on"/>
>           <textstream src="subtitles-es.rtx"
>                 system-overdub-or-caption="caption"
>                 system-language="es"/>
>       </switch>
></par>
>
>1) The "system-language" test attribute is not bound
>   to spoken language only.
>
>2) In the example, the attribute is used in the
>   case where captions are preferred to overdubs.
>   I don't understand why we would say that
>   the second stream would be rendered when the user
>   has configured the player with a preference for
>   Spanish audio.

and these captions are actually subtitles

Marja