Re: Status of Quick Tips revisions

NOFRAMES is a fundamental requirement of the frameset DTD. It is not legacy,
it is the correct way to provide access to the content of frames for non
spatially based browsers, in the same way the the correct way to provide a
full description of an image using the IMG element is to add a URI as a
longdesc. It just so happens that there are emergency repair strategies for
framesets, although in most cases they provide a poor form of access at best.

This means that Noframes is not necessarily a P1 requirement for
accessibility on desktop machines (it probably is on mobile machines at the
moment), but does not mean it it is unnecssary. Second-class access is
appropriate for second-class people, but there are none of those.

Charles McCN

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

  >>>PROPOSAL: "Frames. Label with the _title_ or _name_ attribute."
  >>>OR PROPOSAL: "Frames. Use _noframe_, and _title_ or _name_ attribute. (NB:
  >>>"noframe" would be in small caps)
  >>>
  >>WC:: I like the second proposal.  This technique is included in checkpoint
  >>6.5, which is P2.
  >
  >HB: Even if it is only in the transitional DTD. Are we continuing that
  >legacy?

  there are several things in the WCAG that are "legacy" caused by the
  widespread use of older user agents or lack of support for newer features.
  therefore, "until user agents" seems to apply here.

  --wendy
  wendy chisholm
  human factors engineer
  trace research and development center