Re: last (fast) gasp for waicard10, closing Thursday a.m.

Yes but Wendy's previous comment indicated that "alt" wasn't complete either:

>actually, it was pointed out on the GL list that depending on how people
>create client side image maps, there are two strategies they could use.
>One does not use "alt" and thus a more general statement should be made in
>regards to techniques.  We're proposing the following for the next version
>of the guidelines:
>For all image map links, provide text for each link (e.g., via the "alt"
>     attribute of HTML AREA elements or by using the MAP element with
>     anchors defined with the A element).

I don't think she was suggesting dropping the lead-in of "Image maps." How
about absolutely simplest:

"Image maps. Use client-side MAP and text for each hotspot."

OK? They can get the detail from the "complete guidelines & checklist" as
advertised.

Judy

At 10:39 AM 2/11/99 -0500, Harvey Bingham wrote:
>At 2/11/99 09:02 AM , Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>>
>>>Discussion on image map item follows. Statement on waicard10 currently
>reads:
>>>
>>>"Image maps. Use client-side MAP and text links for hotspots."
>>>
>>this is better, although people may interpret it to mean "provide separate
>>text links elsewhere on the page" unless they read the GL Techniques
>document.
>>
>>How about the following:
>>Use client-side MAP and provide text for each hotspot.
>>
>Keep the leadin for consistency:
>
>Image maps. Use client-side MAP with alt text for each hotspot.
>
>Regards/Harvey

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)