Re: last (fast) gasp for waicard10, closing Thursday a.m.

I really like the wording '...and text links for hotspots'. If I was
printing the card, that is what I would put. But I am not really fussed
about it.

Charles McCN

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Judy Brewer wrote:

  Yes but Wendy's previous comment indicated that "alt" wasn't complete either:

  >actually, it was pointed out on the GL list that depending on how people
  >create client side image maps, there are two strategies they could use.
  >One does not use "alt" and thus a more general statement should be made in
  >regards to techniques.  We're proposing the following for the next version
  >of the guidelines:
  >For all image map links, provide text for each link (e.g., via the "alt"
  >     attribute of HTML AREA elements or by using the MAP element with
  >     anchors defined with the A element).

  I don't think she was suggesting dropping the lead-in of "Image maps." How
  about absolutely simplest:

  "Image maps. Use client-side MAP and text for each hotspot."

  OK? They can get the detail from the "complete guidelines & checklist" as
  advertised.

  Judy

  At 10:39 AM 2/11/99 -0500, Harvey Bingham wrote:
  >At 2/11/99 09:02 AM , Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
  >>
  >>>Discussion on image map item follows. Statement on waicard10 currently
  >reads:
  >>>
  >>>"Image maps. Use client-side MAP and text links for hotspots."
  >>>
  >>this is better, although people may interpret it to mean "provide separate
  >>text links elsewhere on the page" unless they read the GL Techniques
  >document.
  >>
  >>How about the following:
  >>Use client-side MAP and provide text for each hotspot.
  >>
  >Keep the leadin for consistency:
  >
  >Image maps. Use client-side MAP with alt text for each hotspot.
  >
  >Regards/Harvey

  World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://purl.oclc.org/net/charles