Re: More on the ATAG-WCAG relationship

FYI: I found the email I was looking for on the WCAG archives and
included it below.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: More on the ATAG-WCAG relationship
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:51:59 -0400
From: Jeanne Spellman <jeanne@w3.org>
To: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
CC: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, "Richards, Jan" <jrichards@ocad.ca>,
"w3c-wai-au@w3.org" <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>, WAI CG <w3c-wai-cg@w3.org>

To recap:
This discussion concerns the WCAG WG comment on the 2010 ATAG2 Last Call:
WCAGWG17: "B 2.1.1 (a) and elsewhere term 'accessible content' is used
where perhaps "conforming with WCAG 2.0" would be better. "

The AUWG made changes to B.2.1.1(a) and some additional locations as
requested. WCAG WG accepted all the changes made by AUWG to all their
comments except this one.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2011JulSep/0081.html

I would like to request that WCAG WG withdraw their overall objection to
all uses of the term "accessible content" for the following reasons:

1. UNDERSTANDABLE
I want to keep the document readable, keeping the jargon to the places
where precision is required.  Most of the places where "accessible
content" is used, it is a conceptual term - especially in Principles and
Guidelines.

"Accessible content" is used in our principles and guidelines:

Part B. Support the production of accessible content
PRINCIPLE B.1: Fully automatic processes must produce accessible content
PRINCIPLE B.2: Authors must be supported in producing accessible content
Guideline B.2.1: Ensure accessible content production is possible.
Guideline B.2.2: Guide authors to produce accessible content.

A blanket decision for all uses of "accessible content" is
counterproductive to our goals.  Gregg's desire to educate is
commendable, and certainly belongs in the document, but not repeated 80+
times making the document so jargon-ridden that even the basic
principles and guidelines are intimidating to the first-time reader.

I would rather keep "accessible content" as is, look for the places
where "accessible content" impacts testing and use a more precise,
normative-defined term there.

I recommend putting a section on "accessible content" in the
introduction with Gregg's ideas and links to normative definitions. It
is counterproductive to the acceptance and implementation of ATAG to
clutter the entire document with asterisks, hyphenated-phrases, and
definition links wherever "accessible content" is being used.

2. ACCESSIBILITY SUPPORTED TECHNOLOGIES
ATAG serves a different section/column in the accessibility diagram
structure and a different audience. Developers of authoring tools are a
step away from the environment where content is consumed - a developer
of an authoring tool cannot predict and test all the
language/browser/assistive technologies where content produced by the
authoring tool may be used. Further, it would hinder innovation in
improving accessibility to require that ATAG2-conformant tools be
restricted to existing browsers and AT.

Jan's use case of SVG is important.  When a developer creates a tool
that produces well-structured SVG that supports accessibility, we want
that tool be ATAG-conformant, even though no browser or assistive
technology currently supports it.  Requiring WCAG2-conformance (with its
requirement for accessibility supported technologies) would mean a
developer could not achieve ATAG2 conformance.  This would hinder the
development of products that would improve accessibility overall. ATAG
2.0 needs to be independent of the WCAG requirement for accessibility
supported technologies.

3. CLEAR SEPARATION BETWEEN WCAG AND ATAG
"Accessible content" is not used in Part A (making the tool itself
accessible). Gregg's argument would apply here, IMO, but that is not
where it is used.

WCAG 2.0 is the correct document for end-user-level precision in
determining accessibility. ATAG 2.0 is not. The LAST thing we want is
for the accessibility supported technologies discussion to be further
confounded by subtle differences between ATAG and WCAG.

I would like to ask WCAG WG to remove their objection to the broad use
of "accessible content", with the proviso that AUWG will look critically
at its use in SC where it impacts the ability to test the SC.

jeanne

--
Jeanne Spellman