ATAG2 Proposal to remove B.2.1.3 Other Technologies

From: Richards, Jan <jrichards@ocad.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:55:38 -0500
To: "w3c-wai-au@w3.org" <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
ORIGINAL:
B.2.1.3 Other Technologies: If the authoring tool can insert web content that it cannot subsequently edit, then the authors can associate accessibility information with that web content.

COMMENT:
MS26: B.2.1.3 If the authoring tool cannot edit, then should the burden of making the association be placed on that tool? We can only see very specific situation where this makes sense (time text file upload or adding alt text). Also, what if the content is read-only due to protection? The proposed text is too sweeping. Insert condition of "if the content supports association of accessibility info."

PROPOSAL:
Remove this SC. All of the examples that I can think of (alt text on images, alternate content for objects, captions, etc.) are already covered by WCAG and therefore covered by all the various other ATAG checkpoints.

jrichards@ocad.ca | 416-977-6000 ext. 3957 | fax: 416-977-9844
Inclusive Design Research Centre (IDRC) | http://inclusivedesign.ca/
Faculty of Design | OCAD University