ATAG2: Amended proposal for B.2.1.1 Decision Support

Hi Greg,

No problem. I really do want to work out as many potential problems as
possible before LC.

Now, how do other people feel about the rewording proposed (with
knock-on changes to the Intent and Examples)?

AMENDED FULL PROPOSAL:
======================

B.2.1.1 Decision Support: If the authoring tool provides the option of
producing an *excluded web content technology* for publishing, then both
of the following are true (Level A):
(a) Warning: authors are warned that the authoring tool does not provide
accessibility support for that web content technology.
(b) List Included Technologies: from the warning, authors can access a
list of technologies for which the authoring tool does provide
accessibility support (i.e., the *included web content technologies*).

Note: If a conformance claim is made, the claim cites the included and
excluded technologies.

Intent of Success Criterion B.2.1.1:
------------------------------------
The intent of this success criterion is to inform authors as early as
possible about the degree to which the authoring tool will be able to
provide accessible web content production support for the web content
technologies that it is capable of producing. If accessibility is part
of early decision-making, it will reduce the likelihood that retrofits
for accessibility will be required later on.

The success criterion makes absolutely no assumption about the
accessibility or inaccessibility of any particular web content
technologies, because any technology can be made accessible. For
example, a technology with no intrinsic accessibility features can be
made accessible in conjunction with another technology (e.g., bitmap
images may be made more accessible via HTML text labels).

Instead, the success criterion depends on whether the authoring tool in
question actually supports the production of accessible content in the
technology (i.e., "included" technologies) or does not (i.e., "excluded"
technologies) through features like checking and repair.

The wording "provides the option of producing an *excluded web content
technology* for publishing" is intended to (1) rule out situations in
which authors make technology choices without guidance by the authoring
tool (e.g., by hand coding, by specifying a DTD) and (2) rule out
situations in which incomplete content is created in interim formats
that are not intended for publishing.

The intent of (b) is simply to inform the user, who has now just
received a warning that the authoring tool lacks accessibility support
for a given technology, that one or more other web content technologies
produced by the authoring tool are supported by such accessibility
support features. It is left to authors, to decide whether any of the
"included technologies" might be appropriate for the task or whether
they will continue on with their original selection.

Examples of Success Criterion B.2.1.1:
--------------------------------------
Choosing video formats:
A video authoring tool allows authors to save into several video file
formats. However, the authoring tool includes a built-in closed-caption
editor that only works with one of the file formats. While there is
nothing intrinsically "inaccessible" about any of the video formats,
when the option to save is presented, the formats that are not supported
by the authoring tool's own closed-caption editor include warnings that
caption support is not provided. In the warning's explanation, the video
format that is supported by the closed-caption editor is identified.

Cheers,
Jan