RE: Input needed before next AUWG call

I sent my replies to Jan but forgot to cc the group
Tim Boland NIST

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-au-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-au-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Greg Pisocky
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:32 AM
To: Jan Richards; WAI-AUWG List
Subject: RE: Input needed before next AUWG call

My replies within

Greg Pisocky, Adobe Systems
gpisocky@adobe.com
703.883.2810p | 703.883.2850f | 703.678.3541m

What is nagging at me is the implication that format X is a better choice than format Y because of the tool's ability to provide an additional accessibility attribute for format X. Maybe format X is a low definition format that only works with a limited number of players. Format Y might be more appropriate given the intended workflow creating content targeted for high definition players. To require the software to suggest using format X as the alternative to Y because this particular tool can add captions to X and not Y undermines the developer's intent which is to produce content appropriate for play on high definition players.

So now I think I have worked this through in my mind (sorry to drag everyone through my slow train of thought, but I am sensitive to workflows). What bothers me is this notion that the tool needs to suggest an alternative.  And I quote "if a similar *included technology* is available, then it is suggested as an alternative."

A tool can't possibly know about the author's ultimate intent to suggest that the so called "more accessible choice" is the correct alternative. That isn't always the case given that tools that manipulate source formats are not always suitable for manipulating all of the attributes.

Can we eliminate the language that implies that the others are better and replace it with language that addresses is the issue of what may be gained or lost given all of the alternatives available to developers using the tool?