Re: User supplying image but not text alternative

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:39:13 +0300
Cc: WAI-AUWG List <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
To: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>

On Aug 21, 2008, at 16:25, Jan Richards wrote:

> Just to clarify, I didn't say ATAG ever requires "alt" to be omitted.

OK.

> All I meant was that ATAG doesn't have a strict requirement that
> tools always create "valid" code (where valid is defined by a markup
> language's authors).

My concern is rather that ATAG shouldn't require agents to produce
output that doesn't conform to the syntax of the file format that the
agent outputs. A previous statement by a former editor of ATAG made me
think that ATAG might have required agents to violate the file format
syntax in the case I described, but I was unable to verify this by
reading the spec text myself.

> In a future HTML then it would be nice to have a valid way of
> differentiating (a) from (b). An example was Matt May's @noalt which
> an HTML generator could add. I commented on Matt's proposal here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2008May/0199.html

Do I understand correctly that ATAG 2.0 doesn't cover the case of
uncooperative users in the context of HTML 4?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi