Guidelines, Checkpoints, Techniques - definition

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 18:12:23 -0400 (EDT)
To: WAI AU Guidelines <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
Eric has proposed revision of the definitions as follows:

Guideline:

A guideline is a general principle of accessible authoring tool design.

Checkpoint:

A checkpoint is a specific and verifiable application of a guideline.

Technique:

A technique is a way of implementing a checkpoint. Techniques are often
specific to a particular language (e.g., HTML, XML, CSS, ...).

I prefer the original definition for guidelines and checkpoints.

For techniques I think we should simply note that there is an associated
document which describes techniques which may be used, and further examples
of what is meant, as follows:

Techniques:

In the document [WAI-AUTOOLS-TECH] a number of techniques are given for the
various guidelines and checkpoints. These are approaches which may be used to
satisfy a checkpoint, or examples of things to consider, and are not a
normative part of this document.

Charles McCN