Re: null alt revisited

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 11:23:33 -0700
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: "w3c-wai-au@w3.org" <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
At 01:45 p.m. 04/08/99 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Oh, maybe so. seems these days I get lots of [something_unhelpful.gif] but
>not much [IMAGE]

Actually from a purely informational point of view, the former
[something_unhelpful.gif] contains more POTENTIALLY useful
information than either " " or [IMAGE].  Now, you and I know
that they it SUCKS as ALT text, and nobody should ever use it,
but looking at it practically, there is at least the potential
for some useful info to be conveyed by the filename, and none
by the simple [IMAGE] substitution.

I would 1000% times more desire to see LEGITIMATE, well-written
alternative text, but when given the choice of three evils, my
prefs would run [filename.gif] [IMAGE] " ".

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@hwg.org>
President, Governing Board Member