Re: Parameter entity references

From: Digitome Ltd. <digitome@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 07:56:40 +0100
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org

>That said...  I'm not certain that non-8879 "validating XML
>processors" will come into widespread use.  If they don't,
>I'm starting to be convinced that full SGML should be used
>for many "XML DTD" purposes, with the exception of a few gotchas
>that fall far short of the restrictions that XML
>places on DTDs.

This prediction sure has a ring of truth about it!

A project we have on here needs structural checks that are hard
to capture naturally in a DTD. We concluded that if we go ahead
with that project using XML we will use non-validating
XML parse followed by custom, project-specific semantic parse.

This semantic parse would naturally subsume the structural checks
we *could* have performed with a validating parse but what would
be the point? We need our own layer of semantics anyway. It seems
natural to combine the two.

Sean
Sean Mc Grath

sean@digitome.com