RE: Thoughts on namespaces

At 19:26 23/05/97 -0700, Andrew Layman wrote:
>I've read over the Japanese Proposal from Toru Takahashi and edited by
>Charles Goldfarb.  Other than some differences in terminology, it is
>substantially the same as my proposal.

I'm surprised to hear you say that.  To me they seem about as different as
two proposals on namespaces could be.  The Japanese proposal allows separate
DTDs to be combined into a single DTD by using separate namespaces for each
DTD's elements.  It then allows instances to be created that conform to
those DTDs.  It thus allows me to create *valid* XML/SGML documents with
elements from multiple namespaces. As far as I can see you proposal
addresses only well-formed documents.  I don't see how it helps if I want to
create a valid document:  to do this I need to compose multiple DTDs into a
single combined DTD, but your proposal doesn't even mention DTDs.

James