DSIGS

From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 17:14:20 -0700
To: "'Matthew Fuchs'" <matt@wdi.disney.com>, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Matthew Fuchs asks, in regards to a digital signature, "How we know just
what the signature covers"?  In other words, what is the scope of the
digital signature?

The digital signature people are working on this question, and have some
good ideas.  From what I can see, this is an issue of the semantics of
digital signatures, but not an XML problem.  We don't need to solve it
for them, merely give them the basic tools from which they can construct
a solution.  (Those tools being a way to put an unambiguous, structured
digital signature element in or on any element.)

--Andrew Layman
   AndrewL@microsoft.com