Re: Link-2: Pseudo-elements

From: David Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 14:08:12 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 11:16 AM +0700 5/19/97, James Clark wrote:
>Either we have sub-element addressing or we don't.
>
>- If we do, then we can just count/search all the data character children or
>descendants of an element: pseudo-elements aren't essential.

Yes, but it you use empty tags as separators (line TEI's "milestone tags"),
then you can't address the things between the tags by counting.

>- If we don't have sub-element addressing, what's the use of being able to
>address a pseudo-element if you can't address inside it?
If you want to use separators.

>Either way pseudo-elements add nothing but confusion and complexity.

I guess you can use spans to pick two adjacent milestones and select the
thing between them. So maybe it's not necessary, only convenient.

   -- David