Re: SD5 - Namespaces

From: Steven J. DeRose <sjd@eps.inso.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:14:32 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 09:09 AM 05/21/97 +0100, Martin Bryan wrote:

>The SGML way of saying that an element belongs to a different namespace than
>that provided by the base DTD is to precede the element name by the name(s)
>of the doctypes it does conform to in the form of a name group qualifier to
>the element name, e.g. <(CML)MOL> and <(MathsML)EXPR>. If it is relevant in
>more than one DTD you just say so, e.g. <(HTML|MYDTD)P>. I don't really see
>much point in defining a new syntax for all this.

Wellllll, almost. The behavior is a little different because each DTD
applicable in a CONCUR document must fully cover the document instance,
right? This is not quite the same as saying "once I'm in this piece, this
other DTD applies" -- and it's not at all trivial to paste a chunk from one
DTD into another document and get it all to parse right with CONCUR, *even*
if you have already put "(dtdname)" into all the tags first.

(Martin, remember I'm one of those who quite *likes* CONCUR -- I just don't
think it completely solves this particular problem).

Steven J. DeRose, Ph.D., Chief Scientist
Inso Electronic Publishing Solutions
   (formerly EBT)