Re: SD1 - Short End Tags [fmt]

From: Joe English <jenglish@crl.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 19:12:54 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org

Matthew Fuchs <matt@wdi.disney.com> wrote:

> Isn't this possible:
>
> <?XML version="1.0" RMD='INTERNAL'?>
> <!doctype bogus [
> <!entity of "<firstname>">
> <!entity cf "</firstname>">
> <!entity ol "<lastname>">
> <!entity cl "</lastname>">
> ]>
> <author>
>   &of;foo&cf;
>   &ol;bar&cl;
> </author>

Not in XML.

Section 4.1 "Logical and Physical Structures" says that
``[...] Tags and elements must each begin and end in the same
entity [...]''.  By my interpretation this makes the above
example illegal, since the FIRSTNAME element starts in
the 'of' entity, its content is in the main (document) entity,
and it ends in the 'cf' entity.

(I interpret section 4.1 to mean, essentially, that "element
boundaries must not cross entity boundaries."   I think this
is a sensible and useful restriction, but clarifications are
welcome.)

--Joe English

  jenglish@crl.com