Re: SD4 - Schema Format [fmt]

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 08:59:19 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
> From: Jean Paoli <jeanpa@microsoft.com>

> Schemas are structured data, yet their current representation (DTD)
> does not leverage work invested in the XML document instance. ...
>
> Proposal: All machine-readable schemata, whatever their other
> characteristics, are structured data, and so XML itself is a good
> carrier syntax for schema expression. We should design a general
> structure for writing schemata in XML.

The new types of schema that are being proposed include a lot of
things that are not covered by DTDs.  Thus we have three choices:

 1. use XML syntax
 2. radically extend DTD syntax
 3. invent a new syntax

Of these, the first seems desirable, the second questionable, and
the third idiotic.

As with data typing and namespace issues, I think this new work belongs
not in XML-lang but in a new small volume in the lang/link/display
series.

This is not realistically achievable in the July 1 timeframe.  It's
hard and is going to require thorough exploration. -Tim