Link-1: Syntax

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 11:37:54 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
We have a botch at the moment in that the hyperlink #HERE is ambiguous,
does it mean the linking element, or does it mean ID(HERE)?  We need to
fix the syntax to solve this.  Solutions I have thought of include:

(1) putting the whole xpointer in parentheses, unless it's just an ID value
    e.g. HREF="#(HERE), or
(2) requiring that keywords such as HERE always be followed by a comma,
    even if there's nothing after the comma,
    e.g. HREF="#HERE,"

Any other nice syntax tricks? - Tim

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-708-9592