Re: Altavista "Language Tags"?

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Date: 07 May 1997 22:48:57 +0100
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 08:53 07/05/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Check out the following, from PC Week.  Altavista says they're going
>to introduce "Language Tags" - the story is completely opaque.

It is indeed opaque, and unless they are proposing to recommend authors
to use <LANG> then I fail to see what they are suggesting. If they
believe they can distinguish language solely by machine then they are
in for some unpleasant surprises and should sign up immediately for
the ALLC conference in Kingston, ON, in a few weeks' time where they
can learn exactly what the Comp. Ling. crowd are doing.

///Peter