Re: ERB votes on error handling

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 17:04:23 -0400
To: bsmith@atlantic-82.Eng.Sun.COM
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>     <CNN-HEADLINE-NEWS>
>-->    <STORY><HEADLINE>Cat saved</HEADLINE>  ... </STORY>
>       <STORY><HEADLINE>Nuclear War</HEADLINE> ... </STORY>
>       .
>       .
>       .
>      </CNN-HEADLINE-NEWS>
>
>In the snippit above, if CNN is braodcasting XML and I "tune in" at the -->,
>I will read the story about the lucky cat but won't hear about nuclear war
>unless CNN does something non-conforming. They probably will be forced to.

Assuming that you are stream-based, the processor might see two stories,
and an illegal end tag.

This is not a good example though. Obviously you cannot hope to tune into
a stream of structured information in the middle without some necessity
for synchronization (jump to the middle of a frame of MPEG data, and see
what you get).

This is particularly interesting to me, because I have a proposal for
exactly what you outline above: realtime delivery of HTML and XML. An
application built using my proposal would not suffer from the above
problem.