Re: XML FAQ: Answers needed

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@ACM.org>
Date: Sat, 03 May 1997 23:42:27 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 21:45 1997/05/03 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
>I have a few outstanding queries for the FAQ on which I would appreciate
>the advice of the group. These questions come from users' email to me
>(ie the phrasing is theirs, not mine, so I am unable to clarify any
>further what they are saying). My comments are in [brackets].

>f. I could find no mention of the NAMESTRT variable in the Goldfarb SGML
>   Handbook. What does this do as opposed to the LCNMSTRT and UCNMSTRT
>   variables in the SGMLDECL?

The Technical Corregendum of 3 Dec 1996 to ISO/IEC 8879:1986 includes an
optional extension of SGML, known as the "Extended Naming Rules". The
effect of this extension adds NAMESTRT and NAMECHAR in production [189],
and additional new productions [189.1] and [189.2]. When this option is
enabled, the minimum literals in productions 171 and 200 must be modified
to read "ISO 8879:1986(ERN)". See Technical Corrigendum 3 Dec 1996 for the
new annex J (normative) Extended Naming Rules.

NAMESTRT and NAMECHAR in naming rules, [189] allow uncased letters for
languages that have them to be assigned both to the LC and associated UC
forms when used in productions [52] name character and [53] name start
character. These are appropriate for XML as ISO 10646 supports such
languages.

See for details:

    http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/document/1896rev.htm

>///Peter