Re: XML Conformance Levels [Was: ERB Decisions of March 26th]

At 16:54 26/03/97 -0800, Terry wrote:
>Re PUBLIC, fine by me.  The discussion has shown me that SYSTEM and
>PUBLIC are the wrong concepts for the Internet; as SYSTEM now means
>URL, it's okay, but unless PUBLIC means URN, I'd rather not have it;

On the contrary, I think PUBLIC is ideal for the Internet, because it
provides just the right levels of identification. But it does need
owners to register, and the GCA to run a server-based index.

But maybe URNs will do all this...everyone seems to think they'll stop
nuclear war and make the trains run on time, just like Mussolini, but
I have yet to see anything that makes me believe it.

>it's not clear to me that the SGML ERB would settle for PUBLIC=URN
>rather than PUBLIC=public-per-8879.

I don't see any advantage. The latter already works: URN's aren't in
use yet.

///Peter