Re: ERB: decision and conundrum

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 10:56:55 +0000
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 18:58 16/3/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:

>CONUNDRUM:
>
>4. If the '#' is followed only by a string, then.... what?  This should
>   be an IDREF, right?  Maybe.  And if it is, how do you know how to find
>   ID attributes in an XML document out at the far end of a URL?  Can you
>   be sure of finding the appropriate declaration in the internal
>   DTD subset?  Can you be sure of finding the external subset?

If we are allowing #<tei> why not also allow #<id>?
Then we could reserve #CDATA to be used specifically to identify the name of
an anchor in an HTML file referenced from an XML file.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/