Re: Update on namespaces

From: Jon Bosak <Jon.Bosak@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:01:13 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Wednesday's SGML ERB decision to add the colon to the set of legal
name and namestart characters (see related report by Michael
Sperberg-McQueen) ends the current discussion of namespaces.

This does not mean that we consider the question of namespaces to be
outside the scope of this activity; on the contrary, we intend
eventually to specify one or more XML namespace mechanisms in
xml-lang.  It is rather an admission that we need a period of
reflection and experimentation before we understand the issues well
enough to design a good long-term solution.  Our plan is to pick this
issue back up again when there has been enough industry experience and
analysis in the SGML revision process to guide us in defining an
appropriate mechanism for XML namespaces.  Further discussion of
namespaces should take place outside of this list until we are ready
to take it up again as part of this activity.

Jon