Re: ERB decision: colon as name character

From: Liam Quin <liamquin@interlog.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 22:44:59 -0400 (EDT)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Paul Prescod wrote:
> We could also bite the bullet and reserve "::" and let
> 'namechar:namechar' be used (for experimentation or whatever). That
> would have the benefit of not breaking the experiments when the final
> solution is rolled out.

Er, that seems to be presupposing that a final solution will use ::
rather than just : by itself....  If we know that already, there is
no need to experiment with the syntax!  Clearly this isn't decided.

I think that the draft wording Michael posted is just fine.
Perhaps there's scope for a Rationale of XML book ("The Spirit of XML"??),
in which this could be further elaborated upon...