Re: IDs - make them case sensitive

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 05:49:01 +1000
To: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>

> From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>

> For the time being I would suggest that XML simply removes ID as a
class of
> names and recommends that users use of a CDATA called id, and applies
an
> XML-specific semantic requiring uniqueness of values for this
attribute
> within a document.

I think "id" would be a bad element name, since it goes against the
HyTime practise of "id" being "ID". I have used quite a few DTDs that
use id as CDATA, and it is frustrating and works against my
expectations.

I suggest, if we must have them

	XML-ID    CDATA
      XML-IDREF CDATA

I don't think we can have XML-IDS and XML-IDREFs without constraing the
CDATA in some way. I still think it is a bad idea, because it allows
obfuscated markup, which is a great sin.  Sure, it may clarify some
things too.

Rick Jelliffe