Re: IDs - make them case sensitive

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> !> From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
>
> !> For the time being I would suggest that XML simply removes ID as a class of
> !> names and recommends that users use of a CDATA called id, and applies an
> !> XML-specific semantic requiring uniqueness of values for this attribute
> !> within a document.
>
> I think "id" would be a bad element name, since it goes against the
> HyTime practise of "id" being "ID". I have used quite a few DTDs that
> use id as CDATA, and it is frustrating and works against my
> expectations.
>
> I suggest, if we must have them
>
>         XML-ID    CDATA
>       XML-IDREF CDATA

I prefer "ID". "XML-ID" is too long.

The name "ID" is only reserved when it is an attribute.
I don't think we need to say anything about elements
that are named "ID," whether they go against expectations
or not.

"IDREF" is not necessary, "HREF" does the job already.

> I don't think we can have XML-IDS and XML-IDREFs without constraing the
> CDATA in some way. I still think it is a bad idea, because it allows
> obfuscated markup, which is a great sin.  Sure, it may clarify some
> things too.

I don't think we'll need IDS, and IDREFS are handled with xlinks:

(A bit verbose, I admit, but it avoids having to reserve any special
delimiters.)

Bert