Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name groups

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:27:11 +0700
To: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
> The ERB, in its meeting yesterday, discussed the issue of parameter
> entities in XML.  We are *strongly* leaning towards voting to remove
> parameter entities entirely *from V1.0*

I don't see much difference between

<!doctype foo system "foo.dtd">

<!doctype foo [
<!entity % e system "foo.dtd">

It doesn't make much sense to me to allow one and not the other.  I think
the complexity with PEs comes from allowing them inside declarations.
Allowing PEs which contain 0 or more complete declarations seems

If PEs are dropped (or disallowed inside declarations), I don't think
conditional sections would be much use.