Re: Update on namespaces

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:36:05 +0700
To: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>

> If we don't have any such special machinery, then I don't see that we
even
> need a new delimiter, since we are gaining nothing new

I think the only thing we are gaining is inheritance of namespaces, eg
being able to write

<a:doc>
</a:doc>

instead of

<a:doc>
<a:p>
</a:p>
</a:doc>

Apart from that we are getting nothing more than we would from a convention
(which is why I don't find this too worryng). (I get a lot more worried
when people start talking about associating a namespace with a URI. For a
start, a URL seems to me to be totally the wrong kind of thing to identify
a namespace.  Surely a URN is what is needed.)

I agree some sort of stylesheet support for namespaces would be nice, but I
think we can leave that for a later date.

James