Re: requiring DTDs [was: RE Deleta est]

From: <lee@sq.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 97 21:05:12 EDT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Peter wrote:
[...]

> Although the WG/ERB cannot require it, there is always the third:
>
> 	of course we don't have to worry about writing a parser because there
> are several top-class ones already written that have no license restrictions
> to our use, that track the standard (so we don't have to rewrite our parser
> with each spec), and have the confidence of our customers.

Unfortunately as it may be, in almost every company I've visited that
has programming and software development as a goal, using someone else's
code is seen as harder than writing one's own.

I've also encountered companies with a policy of not using free software,
so that they always have someone to sue -- er. to blame -- er, to call
for support.

A restriction that a parameter entity can't be redefined inside a marked
section would make "dumb" implementation easier, I think, but might
also make one particular kind of customisation difficult or impossible.

Lee