Re: Associating stylesheets with documents

Jon Bosak wrote:
> [...] A stylesheet [may be] associated with an XML document by
> inserting into the prolog of the document a processing instruction of
> the form
>
>    <?XML-stylesheet type="text/dsssl" href="duckbook.dsl"?>

Some quick comments:
(1) I assume it can also go in the DTD?

(2) It would be very useful to allow a TITLE attribute, so that a user
    agent such as a browser could display a such as:
    Styles:
         Large Print
        *Standard
         Grunge

(3) Are the type and href keywords case sensitive?

> One question that certainly needs resolution is the implied meaning of
> multiple stylesheet PIs.

> 3. Allow multiple xml-stylesheet PIs but either
>
> (a) state that the various stylesheets should always be presented as
> user options, or
>
> (b) allow the treatment be completely system-dependent.

These are the ones I strongly favour.  (a) is of course Panorama's
current behaviour.

> As for the more complex "binding document" approach, that's on hold
> until we can confer with other W3C activities having similar
> requirements to see whether we can arrive at one solution that will
> work for all of us.

I think that's very sensible.  Perhaps the Web Collections work will
eventually supersede the use of SGML OPEN catalogs, since they are
(currently!) in XML, and can carry a wide range of other metadata including
certificates, digitial signatures, information on authors, publishers and
the generic Dublin Core metadata and so forth.  Certainly I expect to
see future web browsers use Web Collections... or at any rate, that
was the original purpose!

Lee